Cache Detective is a very easy-to-use utility that reads and extracts the cache files of many browsers and chat applications for further forensic analysis.
Caches store copies of documents the user has accessed on the internet in order to reduce server access time. The information contained can frequently be used by an forensic investigator or network administrator to determine illegal activities have been committed.
Cache Detective will extract existing cache files that have not been flushed. Typical data you can extract with Cache Detective includes pictures, movies, HTML files, PDFs, and more.
macOS Sierra supported!
Download Cache Detective here
- Mac based on Intel processor running OS X 10.8 or higher
- Hard disk for storing data recommended
- 4 GB RAM
Cache Detective can currently extract cache data from a dozen applications (see Supported Application List) and data formats. It will extract JPEGs, PNGs, MOVs, HTMLs, GIF, and more….
Cache Detective Features
Written specifically for Mac OS X, Cache Detective includes powerful features that give the user greater control and flexibility in analyzing and extracting cache data:
- Preview – Allows the user to preview the image files of available cache data before choosing to recover them. Using the underlying architecture of Mac OS X, Cache Detective can read and display many types of images.
- Custom application support – For Applications that are not currently supported, or Cache data that resides on non-startup drives, Cache Detective allows the user to select cache or browser data and extract the cache data manually.
- Simple interface – Cache Detective has a clean and simple user interface that makes it accessible and very easy to use.
Cache Detective’s Supported Application List
The following is a list of applications with cached items that can be extracted using Cache Detective:
- QQ (Chat)
- QQ Browser
- Chrome Canary
- Disk Utility
Note: Cache Detective is optimized to work on the startup volume. For cache data on non-startup volume, Cache Detective’s allow users to manually locate and extract the cache data.